1. Help Center
  2. 01 Captain's Self Help Desk
  3. Captain's Licenses General Information

25/50 or 100 Ton Master's License Abilities

The Master's license allows the captain to take 7 or more paying passengers out on an inspected vessel, plus the capabilities of the OUPV license too.

The 25/50/100 Ton Masters is the highest level captain's license that you can acquire. This license allows the captain to operate uninspected vessels up to 100 GRT, power and sail. You can have up to 6 paying passengers out. You will also be allowed to operate inspected vessels (7 passengers or more – like a water taxi or dive boat) up to the GRT you are awarded. Typical examples of inspected vessels include: 

  • Ferry boats
  • Harbor tour boats
  • Whale watching boats
  • Water taxis
  • Any much more!

A 25/50/100 Ton Masters license is issued for operation on the Inland, Great Lakes, and Near Coastal waterways. This license is issued in 3 versions: 25; 50; or a 100 Ton. Both the amount of sea service time and the size vessels you have been on will influence the license you are eligible for.


Note: The USCG does not require that you get a Six-Pack License before you get your Masters, so if you qualify, you can skip the Six-Pack and go straight to your Masters!


The 25/50/100 Ton Masters program takes the average student 50-55 hours. We have had students take as little as 3 days, 3 weeks, or 3 months to complete this program. It is on your own pace, at your own time. 


Here is a link to a short video that will give you additional information on that level license.